Thursday, March 20, 2014

Artist Trading Block Creation

This is my latest obsession....
 
ATB creations.
 
 
This is my favorite side of my project.
 
 
WAIT..... maybe it's this side!!! 
 
 
Each blog starts out as 2 pieces of die cut black mat board. I used the new Eileen Hull
Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die -  Blocks/Cubes 3-D that cuts 3 different sized blocks.

 
Next I cut 6  - 2 1/4 inch and 6 - 1 3/4 squares from Metal Foil Tape and 4 Melodic Birds with Vintaj's Thinlits die.
 
These are all embossed using different areas of the 6x6 Embossing folders from Vintaj. I used Iron Scrollwork, Nouveau Tiles and Leaf Rosette folders.
 
 
This is the smaller group. The 2 on the far right are embossed with the little folders that come with the Melodic Bird Die. Really cool to get 3 folders with the bird!
 
I added several layers of Fresco Paints with Cut-n-Dry Foam.

 
When dry, I decided to sand off parts of the paint for contrast.
 
 
I painted the larger squares too, but decided not to sand them. When they're dry, you can see where to go back and get complete coverage.

 
 
Next I put 3 sides together and added the birds. Having the peal-off sticky back makes this so easy.  I left them unpainted so they'd show up really well.
 
 
After trying out all kinds of ideas for the middle sections....round flat wheels, 4 little pegs, 4 pediments....nothing I liked...I finally settled on the height of these little wooden blocks.
 
At first I added the above metal foil die cut strip, but found it too small and later added a larger strip I embossed with an embossing folder.

 
The bottom is with 4 larger wooden blocks glued together, painted black and trimmed with an Industrious Border Sticker.
 
I looked at this photo and thought I definitely needed another piece of silver around the middle. Always a work in progress.
 
 
And it was all glued together when I also decided the top needed something, too!
 
This is actually a cool drawer pull I found at the Hardware store. But it looked kind of plain, so I cut 3 little squares of the foil, embossed it, and stuck it on the balanced cube.
 
Like I said, always a work in progress until it actually goes up!
 
 
And one last shot of the gorgeous birds and the 2 sides on top with the Thinlits little embossing folder designs.
 
Thanks for stopping by, and as always, let me know if you have any questions.
 
I'm here to serve!
 
Linda


15 comments:

Mary C. Nasser said...

Stunningly beautiful, Linda!
Wow! So many great perspectives of this piece! :)

Claudine said...

Wow, Wow and more WOW!! This is so amazing Linda. I love it!!

Meme said...

Stunning, Fabulous ATB's! You are rocking the ATB's.
I love them. I like the black matboard, going to have to get some of that for sure!

ionabunny said...

I can see why you are addicted. These are gorgeous

Helen said...

These latest blocks look fantastic - love how you've decorated each one, and stacked them up, too!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE!!!! It is so gorgeous. Using the little blocks as support for the bigger ones was a great idea & the metal foil looks amazing.

Astrid Maclean said...

Love your trading block tower, it looks fantastic!!

Jackie PN said...

Fabulous Linda- love your new obsession! I especially love the nouveau tiles!

Candy C said...

Linda...whatever obsession you take on, you always ROCK it! Your ATBs assemblage is really amazing! Each of those tiles is a work of art in and of itself! Thanks for always sharing your amazing work! <3 Candy

Lori said...

St..st..st..st...stunning!! WOW!

Amy* said...

I won't pick a side and you can't make me! They are ALL my favorites. I love all of the Vintaj elements...weekend shopping is about to happen

Anja v K@@rten said...

You are a Artist!!!! Wauw that's art with beautiful colors and effects! Groetjes, Anja

Kathi said...

This is so fabulous. I love all the great details from the embossing and the paint.

Fresco Paints are addicting!!!

Unknown said...

OOOh these ATB are so gorgeous Linda!!! ^.^

Cheryl C said...

This is very cool and I just learned about some great folders and love that bird die! Need it, well, maybe, Want It really bad. I love the choice you made with the thin blocks.